Skip to main content

I Need to Friend-Zone Pizza

Originally written for and published in Elephant Journal 12/24/15. 


I’ve worn only black pants since age 22.

Seriously. Black. Friggin’. Pants.



No jeans. No noisy corduroys. No fun colorful or patterned stretchy leggings. Black pants. All because I’m in a completely consuming relationship.

He’s everything I want and he’s always there when I need him. He’s socially acceptable and gets along with almost everyone. Frankly, most people fall in love with him upon first meeting him. He’s irresistible!

I can take the parents and friends to meet him. He makes me smile and lust after him no matter if he’s heated or ice cold—I still want him just as bad. In fact, he slides inside me with such familiarity that I ache when he crosses my lips. It’s that knowing ache. I know I’ll be satisfied. He knows me. He wants to please me. He can be bad and he’s still good.

He’s pizza and I have been in an all consuming relationship with him since the age of eight.

Perhaps you’ve been in love too?

It’s that long-lasting love. That love that’s changed you (but it’s not always for the best). You love someone but they’re killing your spirit?

I’m about to be 42 years old which means (if you’re doing the math), that I am close to spending 22 years of my life in black pants because of my relationship with pizza. If I add things up, I was with my first husband for 10 years, and my second for 15 years. He’s outlived both of those lovers, and he is still going strong. But like all long relationships, something inside me is dying, the part of me I gave up to be with him. He’s not only killing my spirit, he’s killing my wardrobe too.

If I knew the actual date I lost my pizza virginity, I could be proudly celebrating my 33rd anniversary. I could waltz into any jewelry store and purchase an amethyst ring or necklace—the appropriate gift for the 33rd anniversary—and it would pair rather nicely with black friggin’ pants. Pizza and I have a love affair that outlasts so many others who are struggling to find the right one. He knows me so well and I know all the sides of his personality: Neapolitan,

Deep Dish, Thin and Crispy. I love each of them.

I love him…but I’m tired of wearing black pants.

Pizza has officially become the gateway drug to a life in black pants. For me, at least. It’s not pizza’s fault. It’s not him, it’s me. Had a bad day? Get pizza. Heart broken? Pizza sounds good. When things are good, he and I don’t have any problem co-existing. We hang out, we have a few friends over, shake a little parmesan and oregano and we move on to the next adventure.

But…

With each time I recklessly use him to comfort me or to soothe my soul because of the pain I would rather slather over with a good crushed tomato sauce; I’m losing the battle. I’m wearing nothing but black pants. If you’ve ever been in one of these relationships, you can’t see the slide down the slippery slope. Your friends tell you they’re worried. They see you trading button flies for elastic waistbands. You convince yourself that the increasing size on the tag of your black pants doesn’t matter because you still look really good.

I do look really good.

No matter what my size is, I’m beautiful.

Plus, black pants look good on everybody.

The thing is, my knees hurt. I’m faced with looking at medication for conditions I’ve never had issues with before now and it’s all because I love him. I lust for him. He loves me right back. But I want to love me.

Wait. What?

I want to love me. I want to go back to the way it was. I want my relationship with pizza to change because I want to be able to have fun with him again. I want pizza to fit in and balance in a life where I’m not exhausted and running to greet the delivery boy doesn’t leave me winded. I want a life where I’m not taking arthritis medication just to go out on the dance floor. I want to call up pizza and have fun with him. I want to enjoy him but not lose myself in the process. I want to own black pants but I want more. I’m finally mindful of how our relationship has affected me. Finally.

So pizza, let’s just call this what it is. I love you, but I need to keep you in the appropriate place in my life. Let’s go out a few Friday nights from today? This time though, let’s go out on the town because we’ve not had a date night in forever and because maybe we haven’t seen each other in a bit. Remember how fun that was once? Yeah, I know you do.

Oh, will you recognize me? Of course. Just one small detail.

I’ll be wearing a dress.



CREDIT:

Original article link: https://www.elephantjournal.com/2015/12/i-need-to-friend-zone-pizza/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOXING in the KITCHEN: Hello Fresh!

OUR FIRST MONTH OF BOXING IN THE KITCHEN: Boxed dinners that is provided by various great options and we have paid for our boxes so these responses and reviews are completely our own and not compensated by anyone; and with that - here we go! THE COOK'S EXPERIENCE (ERIK'S SIDE/HE SAID) When my significant other suggested that we try cooking at home, I was really excited. I was thinking to myself, now I can show off my culinary skills and introduce her to the cooking of my childhood. She suggested that we try the box subscription, Hello Fresh and immediately I could hear my mother in the background of my brain saying, "I taught you how to cook, you're better than that." From a cook's perspective, I really enjoyed cooking the Hello Fresh kits. They came neatly prepared and ready to go. The instructions were so simple, it didn't take a lot of time to prepare them. I get off of work at 5:30 pm so by the time I get home and take the fur kids out for a little bit...

Best Picture A-Z Challenge: "B"

It's the second week of my Best Picture A-Z Challenge whereby I watch an Academy Award Best Picture Winner for each letter of the alphabet plus a numerical entry. However with one additional rule...it has to be a film that I have NOT yet seen. So I build my list and then if there's more than one choice I offer up a vote to suggest which one to watch.  This challenge is the letter B and so here were my choices: R  1995 ‧ War/Drama ‧ 3h 2m [1]  https://www.google.com/search?q=braveheart&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS930US930&oq=brave&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j46i433j69i57j69i59j46i433i457j0i433j0i131i433j69i60.3407j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 AND after the votes were in, my "B" challenge became to watch: William Wallace is the medieval Scottish patriot who is spurred into revolt against the English when the love of his life is slaughtered. Leading his army into battles that become a war, his advance into England threatens King Edward I's throne before he is captured...

I'm Tired of Dancing with My Past

It's a routine I've known for at least 30 years. I know it like I know the feel of each bump on my skin as I rub my arms. A familiar 8 count of part self-flagellation, part-curiosity it's a dance I do in the wee hours of the morning when my mind is still running around like a kid on pixie sticks at a birthday party rental at the dance studio. I point my toes and leap, deep diving into the familiar dance routine and steps...search google, look up "XYZ" and just tap dance through posts to see how life is treating them.  It's when you stumble trying to remember dance steps that you did when you were in your twenties that you realize you're getting too old. The bones hit the floor harder these days and when you come across a post dated 2015 where you are referenced as a "much-needed and much-desired divorce", you realize that the old wounds from your early years still throb a bit every now and then. Mind you, I wasn't completely floored by that ...