Skip to main content

A Gradual Journey Begins with the First Few Steps

I love bread. Carbs are, in fact, my favorite food group. Beyond that, I believe in body-positivity and health-at-any-size. I don't want anyone in this world to buy into weight loss/exercise obsessions because they feel pressure from any external sources including family, friends, media, society and beyond. So understand that my decision to make some personal changes in my life is in no way because I feel un-loved, under-valued or most of all un-desirable. I love myself most days and the days that I'm angry or sad with myself are built around mental health struggles with depression and anxiety and are actually in no-way related to my feelings about my appearance or my sense of self worth. Alas, I'm 46 as I type this. My mother passed away suddenly at the young age of 58 for reasons I cannot 100% confirm because we didn't have an autopsy (a decision I wish now we had pursued), for multiple reasons. 

I'm making some decisions to just focus on reducing my body size a bit so that I have more freedom, stamina and strength to pursue more consistent and desired activities that I love. I admit that carrying around 365 pounds of vibrancy, life and body weight has as I've aged made some mobility desires a little more stressful. I've been anywhere from 250-365 most of my adult life and it's mostly never held me back from doing things I wanted to do. Sometimes it would keep me from being able to ride some thrill rides which always made my heart sink because I love being able to enjoy every ride I want to take on at an amusement park. I've also discovered stress when I have tried some times to buckle the honestly small-sized seatbelts on an airplane. However these aren't the main reasons I want to make changes. They are added bonuses. For me, it's about hedging my bets on my own future, my own ability to pursue all the things that make me smile and feel alive and most importantly to outlive the expiration date the my Mother had. 

Do I know that I have a perfect solution ahead? Nope. Do I know that these changes will assure me these goals? Nope. But, these changes make sense to me in my head and heart. It's not going to be easy and I'm not going to do this perfectly. I have no desire to do this perfectly because I love food. Food is one of life's pure joys and if one day I would love to indulge in a french baguette I will make the calculated decision to indulge in that crusty and chewy carb-loaded heaven. However I can't argue that giving my body some intentional decisions to improve it's functioning and upgrading my processing systems inside isn't going to allow me to enjoy the things I love most even more. So a change, both gradual and seen as a long journey have begun for me. It's about making intentional decisions along the way, being mindful and most of all being kind to myself along the way.  

I appreciate your reading, your support and your encouragement along the way. Haters...don't even bother. 


In ✌🏻, ❤️ and 🙏🏻- ANNA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOXING in the KITCHEN: Hello Fresh!

OUR FIRST MONTH OF BOXING IN THE KITCHEN: Boxed dinners that is provided by various great options and we have paid for our boxes so these responses and reviews are completely our own and not compensated by anyone; and with that - here we go! THE COOK'S EXPERIENCE (ERIK'S SIDE/HE SAID) When my significant other suggested that we try cooking at home, I was really excited. I was thinking to myself, now I can show off my culinary skills and introduce her to the cooking of my childhood. She suggested that we try the box subscription, Hello Fresh and immediately I could hear my mother in the background of my brain saying, "I taught you how to cook, you're better than that." From a cook's perspective, I really enjoyed cooking the Hello Fresh kits. They came neatly prepared and ready to go. The instructions were so simple, it didn't take a lot of time to prepare them. I get off of work at 5:30 pm so by the time I get home and take the fur kids out for a little bit...

Best Picture A-Z Challenge: "B"

It's the second week of my Best Picture A-Z Challenge whereby I watch an Academy Award Best Picture Winner for each letter of the alphabet plus a numerical entry. However with one additional rule...it has to be a film that I have NOT yet seen. So I build my list and then if there's more than one choice I offer up a vote to suggest which one to watch.  This challenge is the letter B and so here were my choices: R  1995 ‧ War/Drama ‧ 3h 2m [1]  https://www.google.com/search?q=braveheart&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS930US930&oq=brave&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j46i433j69i57j69i59j46i433i457j0i433j0i131i433j69i60.3407j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 AND after the votes were in, my "B" challenge became to watch: William Wallace is the medieval Scottish patriot who is spurred into revolt against the English when the love of his life is slaughtered. Leading his army into battles that become a war, his advance into England threatens King Edward I's throne before he is captured...

I'm Tired of Dancing with My Past

It's a routine I've known for at least 30 years. I know it like I know the feel of each bump on my skin as I rub my arms. A familiar 8 count of part self-flagellation, part-curiosity it's a dance I do in the wee hours of the morning when my mind is still running around like a kid on pixie sticks at a birthday party rental at the dance studio. I point my toes and leap, deep diving into the familiar dance routine and steps...search google, look up "XYZ" and just tap dance through posts to see how life is treating them.  It's when you stumble trying to remember dance steps that you did when you were in your twenties that you realize you're getting too old. The bones hit the floor harder these days and when you come across a post dated 2015 where you are referenced as a "much-needed and much-desired divorce", you realize that the old wounds from your early years still throb a bit every now and then. Mind you, I wasn't completely floored by that ...