Skip to main content

The Foodie Review = Week Ending 08/08/20



FIND

I love corn. I know it's probably the most nutritional equivalent of air and reminds you you had it later (sorry but it's true); so when I stumbled across this find in my weekly groceries list I decided I needed to try it. If you've never had Mexican Street Corn it's quite a complex load of flavors on the tongue (a mixture of cotija cheese, mayo, sour cream, chile powder and lime and then...more cheese). It's a lot to take in when you eat it on the cob fresh and can get a tad messy as well. So I was pretty hopeful this could fit the bill in a convenient way. It did! The only thing missing is the temperature heat of the grilled corn, but the flavors are robust and there is a slight kick to it that makes you just want more, even if only to try to figure out what that taste flavor is. Trust me, my sig-oth who always turns down random dips actually asked for more than 5 samples because he just had to figure out what that "flavor" was. So if you're looking for a departure from the standard salsa for your tortilla dipping, give this a shot. Find it at ALDI'S.


FAIL

Well it wasn't horrible but it just didn't fulfill the desire for shrimp and lobster, I mean I know, how could I expect a frozen lasagna-style meal to make me happy when what I really want is a grilled lobster tail and grilled shrimp? But, how can you resist something that looks so cheesy and tempting. It cooked up well and had a nice crust on the top but the size is good for 2 people as long as you make side dishes as well. I can't really say I tasted either the shrimp or the lobster but it was a cheesy hot meal on a long day and the cost was less than $7 for the whole meal. So, as long as you don't expect to be transported to Maine cuisine you'll be fine with this quick fix just don't expect to be satiated if it's seafood you crave.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BOXING in the KITCHEN: Hello Fresh!

OUR FIRST MONTH OF BOXING IN THE KITCHEN: Boxed dinners that is provided by various great options and we have paid for our boxes so these responses and reviews are completely our own and not compensated by anyone; and with that - here we go! THE COOK'S EXPERIENCE (ERIK'S SIDE/HE SAID) When my significant other suggested that we try cooking at home, I was really excited. I was thinking to myself, now I can show off my culinary skills and introduce her to the cooking of my childhood. She suggested that we try the box subscription, Hello Fresh and immediately I could hear my mother in the background of my brain saying, "I taught you how to cook, you're better than that." From a cook's perspective, I really enjoyed cooking the Hello Fresh kits. They came neatly prepared and ready to go. The instructions were so simple, it didn't take a lot of time to prepare them. I get off of work at 5:30 pm so by the time I get home and take the fur kids out for a little bit...

Best Picture A-Z Challenge: "B"

It's the second week of my Best Picture A-Z Challenge whereby I watch an Academy Award Best Picture Winner for each letter of the alphabet plus a numerical entry. However with one additional rule...it has to be a film that I have NOT yet seen. So I build my list and then if there's more than one choice I offer up a vote to suggest which one to watch.  This challenge is the letter B and so here were my choices: R  1995 ‧ War/Drama ‧ 3h 2m [1]  https://www.google.com/search?q=braveheart&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS930US930&oq=brave&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j46i433j69i57j69i59j46i433i457j0i433j0i131i433j69i60.3407j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 AND after the votes were in, my "B" challenge became to watch: William Wallace is the medieval Scottish patriot who is spurred into revolt against the English when the love of his life is slaughtered. Leading his army into battles that become a war, his advance into England threatens King Edward I's throne before he is captured...

I'm Tired of Dancing with My Past

It's a routine I've known for at least 30 years. I know it like I know the feel of each bump on my skin as I rub my arms. A familiar 8 count of part self-flagellation, part-curiosity it's a dance I do in the wee hours of the morning when my mind is still running around like a kid on pixie sticks at a birthday party rental at the dance studio. I point my toes and leap, deep diving into the familiar dance routine and steps...search google, look up "XYZ" and just tap dance through posts to see how life is treating them.  It's when you stumble trying to remember dance steps that you did when you were in your twenties that you realize you're getting too old. The bones hit the floor harder these days and when you come across a post dated 2015 where you are referenced as a "much-needed and much-desired divorce", you realize that the old wounds from your early years still throb a bit every now and then. Mind you, I wasn't completely floored by that ...